About Rotary International
Rotary International is the oldest largest service organisation in the world founded by Paul Harris in 1905 in Chicago. He named the new club was named “Rotary” because members met in rotation at their various places of business.
Rotary members, women and men, are from the community – they are leaders in business, the arts, government, sports, military and not for profit and community organisations. Rotarians worldwide share a common purpose – to provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards and help build goodwill and peace in the world. Membership is open to men and women, of all ages, ethnic groups, political persuasions, languages and religious beliefs.
“Service above Self” –The mission of Rotary International is to provide service to others. Rotarians make a difference in the world by supporting those in need. Australian Rotary Clubs have over 30,000 members locally. The Rotary Club of Sorrento is one of these clubs.
For more information about Rotary International: www.Rotary.org.au
Some International Rotary Programs are:
- End Polio – Our Challenge –to eradicate Polio by 2018. The estimated cost is US$5.5 billion. www.endpolio.org
- Rotarians against Malaria (RAM): 2 -3 million die annually of the disease. www.ram.rawcs.com.au
- Australian Rotary Health (ARH): Rotary raises approximately AUD$4.2 million per year for distribution to medical and health research. www.australianrotaryhealth.org.au
- Youth Exchange Program (YEP): About 7000 young people (16-18 years) live in another country for one year with host families.
- Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA): www.rotaryyouthexchange.org.au
- Peace Fellowship: Young adults to earn a graduate degree in peace and conflict studies. www.rotary.org/peace
- Disaster relief – Rotary provides effective, efficient, and immediate relief to disaster victims, for example Aceh, Japan, Fiji and here in Australia. www.disasteraidaustralia.org.au / www.shelterbox.com.au
- Rotary Oceanic Medical Aid for Children (ROMAC). This humanitarian program has provided over 350 children from 20 countries with urgent medical www.romac.org.au
The Rotary Foundation
The Rotary Foundation is a not-for-profit corporation that supports the efforts of Rotary International to achieve world understanding and peace through international humanitarian, educational, and cultural exchange programs. It is supported solely by voluntary contributions from Rotarians and friends of the Foundation who share its vision of a better world.
The Foundation was created in 1917 by Rotary International’s sixth president, Arch C. Klumph, as an endowment fund for Rotary “to do good in the world.” It has grown from an initial contribution of US$26.50 to more than US$1billion. It has one of the largest and most prestigious international fellowship programs in the world.
The Rotary Foundation was created when Rotary founder Paul Harris died in 1947, contributions began pouring in to Rotary International, and the Paul Harris Memorial Fund was created to build The Rotary Foundation.
The Rotary Foundation Goals are:
- Eradicate polio, our top priority
- To continue our progress on the Future Vision plan and align our service projects with the six areas of focus:
- Peace and conflict prevention/ resolution
- Disease prevention and treatment
- Water and sanitation
- Maternal and child health
- Basic education and literacy
- Economic and community development
more information www.rotaryfoundation.org
Join us on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month @ 6:00pm at the
Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron for a dinner meeting.
The Rotary Club of Sorrento runs many major and smaller events that benefit the community.
Get in Touch
For any enquiries about our organisation, please get in touch, We would love to hear from you.
PO Box 58, Sorrento VIC 3943